I don’t know if it’s the weather cooling down a little, or the kiddos heading back to school, or just being brainwashed by big media … but every fall, I start craving traditional flavors, like nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon.
And of course these flavors are used all year in traditional breakfast dishes… so I feel myself drawn to breakfast cupcakes right now. Darla over at Bakingdom has this fantastic recipe that I just HAD to try and share with you.
SO the recipe including an awesome printable version is here:
If you are interested in what it’s like to go Black Friday shopping in a small town, then read from the beginning. But if you’re like me and what to get straight to the yummy recipe, then scroll down until you see this picture of her ingredients:
Here’s the play-by-play of how she constructs the deliciousness:
- First up, she’s preparing a wonderful yellow cake recipe for a base, but she’s adding a little cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla to give it that french toast feel.
- Then – because streusel is awesome!, she adds a homemade streusel topping to each one
- Once they’ve baked up beautifully, then she tops them with a fantastic maple buttercream frosting
- And because that’s just not fancy enough for her, she goes right on ahead and adds a rim of cinnamon-sugar to each one
- But wait – that’s not all! She finishes them off with a dusting of sweet powdered sugar.
So go check out her recipe and try these for yourself! I know I’m about to go make another batch myself and curl up on the couch with a good book and my favorite blanket 🙂
As always… Happy Frosting!