So I don’t know about you, but I am definitely nerding out more than a little at the fact that our booth will be in the same building with a baking legend like Buddy Valastro.
In case you’ve somehow managed to miss any of his TV series, or have missed his line of baking products and diy baked goods in stores, Buddy is definitely someone that you need to get caught up on. So real quick – here are the facts you need to know about Buddy before you meet him at the Cake Fair:
- He is a fourth generation baker that was raised in Hoboken, NJ and is very proud of his city and heritage
- He draws his passion from his family, his late father, Buddy Sr, and his extended Italian family
- He worked his way up to being a master baker and cake decorator
- He’s the star of the hit TLC reality shows Cake Boss®, Next Great Baker ®, and Buddy’s Bakery Rescue
- He has authored multiple cookbooks and is a noted Satin Ice Artist of Excellence
- He has been featured in numerous publications, such as Modern Bride, and The Knot
- His cake design was voted by the Today’s Show’s viewers as the best cake in America
While the original bakery started in Hoboken, NJ in 1910 and was a family establishment, Buddy has high ambitions for his family’s legacy and has pushed the company further than it’s ever been.
They now have 6 locations in New Jersey, 2 in New York, 1 in Pennsylvania, 1 in Nevada, and have 1 coming to Connecticut.
Many of their locations even offer classes where you can learn to decorate and bake a phenomenal dessert. He’ll be presenting at the Cake Fair as well too – so don’t miss it!
He’s even added a line of bakeware, merchandise, tools & gadgets, and baked goods to his site to make it easy for you to purchase. I’ve also seen several of the items in his line in my local Michael’s store, Hobby Lobby, and even local grocery stores.
Fun Facts about Carlo’s Bakery!
- A crew of less than 10 people working 12 hour shifts at the original bakery location make up to 20,000 pies to sell for Thanksgiving each year! The most popular is pecan. They are one of the most time-consuming desserts available at the bakery since they all follow Buddy’s father’s original recipes.
- The most popular treat year round is the Lobster Tail Pastry! It is rolled by hand and takes up to 5 people to stretch the dough to get the flaky texture it’s known for.
- One of the most challenging wedding cakes they’ve ever made was one that resembled the Leaning Tower of Pisa. At almost 6 feet all, and composed of almost 35 individual cakes of varying sizes, it was hard to transport and assemble. You can find it in Season 1, Episode 12 of Cake Boss on TLC.